Tip #10: When lighting a scented candle in an enclosed area, make sure that there is enough ventilation. Some candles have what they call a strong "hot throw", the amount of fragrance the candle gives off when lit. Candles with strong throws are usually pleasant until someone is allergic or is sensitive to the smell. In which case, you have to ensure that the smell can easily dissipate from the room. In well ventilated rooms, the smell usually goes away once the candle is snuffed. If not, here are a few suggestions:
- Snuff the candle, taking care to avoid inhaling the fumes.
- Use a small fan to blow the fragrance away from the area.
- Do not move candle if there is a significant amount of wax pool (melted wax).
- Open windows (weather-permitting) or doors.
- Leave area until the area is clear of the fragrance.